Let’s begin to get in the holiday spirit! It’s November, there’s a chill in the air… and some Cannabis that seeks to warm up some of your finest cooking plans. Last night I made a bunch of canna-butter using Forbidden Fruit, an indica-dominant strain that entices the eyes, treats the nose to tropical mango and grapefruit aromas, and tastes simply sweet and sublime. It’s relaxing but not overly so, with a glow that allows me to be rather productive. I have a recipe for a grapefruit sorbet and I’m thinking that this delightful strain will really make it shine. I’m going to infuse the sugar – it will make a superb palate cleanser. I will keep you posted.
Roots, Seeds and Soup
2 tablespoons infused oil, butter or infused equivalent
2 cups parsnips, peeled and cut in chunks
1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup butternut squash, peeled and cut in chunks
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in chunks
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
6-7 cups vegetable broth
⅓ cup sour cream, Greek yogurt or crema
1. Heat oven to 340º F. In a large baking dish, combine the vegetables and toss with 2 tablespoons of infused oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Roast until the vegetables are getting tender, stirring occasionally, approximately 45-50 minutes.
2. Place the vegetables in a large sauce pot and add the vegetable stock. Simmer for about 35 to 40 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
3. Carefully purée the soup with either an immersion or regular blender. Be careful, and if using a regular blender, purée in small batches. Add more vegetable stock if too thick. Heat again for a few minutes and divide among 6 bowls.
4. Drizzle sour cream over each serving. Top with the pepitas.
Serves 5, 3 per person
15 mini frozen phyllo tart cups
2 tablespoons infused butter or oil, melted
8 ounces brie, cut in ¾ inch pieces
⅓ cup raspberry jam
slivers of hot chili peppers (optional)
1. Heat oven to 340º F. Place the cups on a sheet pan covered with parchment. Brush the inside of each of the mini tart shells with the melted infused butter.
2. Place a piece of brie in each cup. Place a ½ teaspoon of jam on the cheese. Top with the slivers of pepper. Bake for 7- 9 minutes.
Makes 15 clusters
12 ounce package white chocolate chips
½ cup dried cranberries, chopped if large
½ cup pecans, chopped
2 tablespoons infused butter, melted
Shredded coconut (optional)
1. Line a sheet pan with parchment.
2. Place white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on medium power for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Continue melting for 10 second intervals until melted.
3. Add remaining ingredients except coconut.
4. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle with coconut. Let set for at least 30 minutes.